Blepharoplasty — upper and lower eyelid correction
Blepharoplasty is a surgical method of skin and subcutaneous tissues correction in the periorbital area. Eyelid surgery will eliminate any genetic and acquired deformities: bags under the eyes, sagging or droopy eyelids, deep wrinkles and skin weighing down. Blepharoplasty of the lower and upper eyelids makes the look more open, creates an instant rejuvenation effect.
Blepharoplasty may be an option if you have:
- Fat bags in the area of the upper or lower eyelid.
- Excess skin of the lower eyelids, upper eyelid overhang.
- Weighing down of the outer corners of the eyes.
- Individual features: "heavy" or massive eyelids.
- Desire to change the eye shape.
Contraindications to Eyelid Surgery:
- Chronic diseases in the acute phase.
- Diabetes, hormonal disorders.
- Acute infections, inflammatory processes
- Blood clotting disorders.
- Eye and skin diseases.
Types of blepharoplasty in Kiev
Depending on the indications for the surgery, three main types of blepharoplasty are distinguished:
The upper blepharoplasty is aimed at the correction of the upper eyelid - it solves the problems of the upper eyelid overhang, fat hernia, etc;
Lower blepharoplasty resolves problems raised by swelling and bags under the eyes;
Circular plasty (Combination Eyelid surgery) of the upper and lower eyelids is used when it is necessary to completely change the shape and the incision of the eyes.
Preparation for blepharoplasty surgery
A few days before the expected date of the surgery, the patient must do all the necessary tests and have a detailed discussion with the doctor about the surgery course and the desired result.
- Blood: general analysis and biochemistry;
- Fluorography, ECG;
In addition to consulting a doctor, a patient must also visit an anesthesiologist to determine the type of anesthesia (general anesthesia or local anesthesia).
How To Prepare For Blepharoplasty. General rules
- Completely give up smoking: nicotine significantly reduces the regeneration of tissues and increases the rehabilitation period.
- It is necessary to drink a lot of water.
- Refuse cosmetic procedures, decorative cosmetics, sunburn (both under the sun and in a solarium).
- It is forbidden to use any medications without consulting a doctor. A special ban on medications that reduce blood coagulation (aspirin, ibuprofen, etc.).
How Eyelid Surgery is performed
The selection of surgery type is based on a number of factors: number of excess fat, skin tone, depth and severity of wrinkles or folds, the volume of excess skin for excision, presence of age ptosis (sagging) tissues, muscle tone responsible for the movement of the eyelids.
Depending on the chosen method of access, the following types of blepharoplasty can be distinguished:
Simple plasty. Correction of tissues is carried out through surgical insections along the anatomical line (upper eyelid) or ciliary margin (lower eyelid).
Transconjunctival. The insection is made from the inside of the eyelid.
Before the procedure, a surgeon applies markings on the skin and determines the area of exposure. Then anesthesia is given to the patient and the main part of the surgery starts. It includes: removal of excess tissue (cutaneous or fatty); redistribution of fatty tissue (if necessary); lifting and strengthening of facial muscles (if necessary), special seams suturation. In total, the surgery takes about an hour. Term recovery: all the "traces" disappear in a couple of weeks and you can return to the usual life.
After use of a general anesthesia, a patient has to remain under the control of doctors within 24 hours. If a local anesthesia was used during the surgery, then within a few hours a person is allowed to go home. In the postoperative period, it is necessary to follow all the recommendations: apply ointments and compresses, take antibiotics and make bandaging, especially for the early recovery.
Edema and painful sensations completely disappear within 2 - 2.5 weeks.
Bruises and other traces disappear within 10 - 14 days. During this period, you need to sleep on your back with a slightly raised head.
It is forbidden to take aspirin and other medicines that thin the blood.
It is preferable to avoid alcohol and nicotine within a few weeks.
Do not use any cosmetics or lenses for 10 days.
During the month you should avoid physical activity, hot procedures (sauna, baths) and sun exposure.
- Bruises, swelling, bruises;
- Increased tear production;
- Double vision (diplopia);
- Incorrect scarring;
- Dry eyes, conjunctivitis.
When conducting a surgery professionally, all the complications are reduced to bruises and swelling, which usually accompany any surgical interference and disappear during the rehabilitation.