Endoscopic polypotomy or sinusitis or FESS
What are nasal polyps?
Nasal polyps are benign, massive enlargement on the mucous membrane and paranasal sinuses.
This pathology is quite common in both adults and children.
Its seriousness lies in the fact that the symptoms appear only after a time, when the size of the polyp begins to interfere with breathing.
- Labored breathing.
- Colorless, tenacious or purulent nasal discharge.
- Discomfort in the projection of the paranasal sinuses.
- Frequent sneezing.
- Smell disorder.
- If you are worried about at least one of the above symptoms, this is a good reason to contact an otolaryngologist.
It is possible to solve this problem with the help of surgical intervention.
A polypotomy is an operation to remove polyps in your sinuses.
It is performed in the area where the main problem is located: maxillary, ethmoid, frontal or main sinus (sinus).
Intervention can be one-sided and two-sided. Removal of polyps in the nose, in order to minimize postoperative discomfort, swelling and pain, is carried out using modern endoscopic technology, which allows such manipulations to be carried out without any incisions in the mouth and face.
All sinus surgery using an endoscope is called "Functional Endoscopic Sinus Surgery" or FESS.
During the operation, I use endoscopes with an angle of 0 °, 30 °, 45 °, 70 °. For a more gentle removal of polyps and preservation of the nasal mucosa, a shaver is used, which allows you to almost bloodlessly eliminate the necessary areas.
Polypotomy of the nose: price in Kiev
The cost of nasal polypotomy surgery depends on the amount of work, as well as the patient's health complications and concomitant pathologies.
Before the patient is admitted to the hospital, he needs to undergo a series of laboratory tests and functional tests. It depends on their results whether complications can be avoided later.
Mandatory examination includes:
- General blood analysis.
- Biochemistry of blood.
- Coagulogram - blood clotting analysis.
- Coagulogram - blood clotting analysis.
- General urine analysis.
- Analysis for blood group and Rh factor.
- Chest fluorography.
If necessary, the list of tests can be expanded by the attending physician.
Nasal polypotomy, like any other surgical intervention, requires mandatory preparation.
Before the surgery, it is necessary to:
- refuse the use of alcohol and smoking;
- refuse the use of heavy food, while the last meal should be at least 6 hours before the operation (low-fat broth, meat or fish, fruits and vegetables);
- not drink 4 hours before surgery.
- comfortable clothes (tracksuit, T-shirts made of natural fabric, change of underwear);
- comfortable shoes;
- personal hygiene products;
- a book or a laptop, since after the operation you will have to spend another 1-2 days in the hospital.
Note! It is better to give valuable things to relatives during the operation or to warn medical personnel about them.
Until full awakening, you will be under the supervision of doctors and only after that you will be transferred to the ward.
At the end of the polypotomy, there will be tampons in the nose, which are usually removed the next day.
Removing the tampons is not a painful procedure, as for tamponade I use modern Merocel tampons, which are only 8-10 cm long.
After the tampons are removed, you will be transferred to a ward where you will need to lie on your side for an hour. Then you can get up and walk.
After 6-8 hours or the next day, the nasal toilet is performed: only after that it is possible to assess the condition of the mucous membrane, the severity of edema, the presence of discharge in the nose and decide on the date of leaving the hospital.
Convalescence and rehabilitation at home
The greatest number of complications occur outside the hospital, so it is extremely important to follow all the doctor's recommendations.
You are recovering, but not yet completely healthy. It is necessary to come to the dressings and toilets of the nose, to take medications, which are assigned individually to each at discharge.
What is recommended:
- to rinse the nose with saline solutions 2-3 times a day (Pshik, Humer, Aqua Maris);
- to instill Aekol solution 3 times a day;
- to take a slightly warm shower;
- to walk outside;
- to eat warm food.
What is prohibited:
- to take a hot bath;
- to do sports for 14 days;
- to consume hot food and drinks;
- to drink carbonated drinks.