Stapedoplasty: who needs it and why
Otosclerosis is a disease that leads to the fixation of the ossicular chain
In the absence of otosclerosis, a sound wave hitting the eardrum causes it to vibrate. The vibrations of the membrane are transmitted to the ossicular chain, amplifying the vibrations. The last bone in the path of the sound is the stirrup. The vibrations of the stirrup are transmitted to the inner ear, where it is transformed into a signal that goes through the auditory nerve to the brain and is perceived by a person as sound.
When diagnosed with otosclerosis, the third bone (stirrup) stops moving. The vibration from the eardrum and the bones dies out and the person hears less than he could.
The goal of the surgery is to sever the bones, form a canal in the third bone, and place a prosthesis that will transmit vibration from the eardrum to the inner ear.
When diagnosing, the following is performed:
- examination by an otolaryngologist;
- audiometric hearing test;
- impedance tympanometry with reflexes.
- If you suspect this disease, there is no need to take CT and MRI scans.
- Mandatory examination includes:
- general blood analysis;
- blood biochemistry;
- coagulogram - blood clotting analysis;
- general urine analysis;
- analysis for blood group and Rh factor;
- chest fluorography;
Audiometry should be performed before surgery and should be taken to the audiometric office on the day of discharge to avoid its loss. You can make a photocopy or photo of it, but the document itself must be kept in the audiometric office, as this is the only way to control hearing.
On the eve of the operation, you must:
- give up alcohol and smoking;
- refuse heavy food, while the last meal should be at least 6 hours before the operation (low-fat broth, meat or fish, fruits and vegetables);
- not drink 4 hours before surgery;
- be on an empty stomach if the surgery is performed in the morning.
- comfortable clothes (tracksuit, T-shirts made of natural fabric, changeable underwear);
- comfortable shoes;
- personal hygiene products;
- book or laptop, since after the operation you will have to spend another 1-2 days in the hospital.
Note! It is better to give valuables to relatives during the operation or to warn medical personnel about them.
In the operating room
The operation is performed under local anesthesia to control the hearing during the operation. During the operation, dizziness and nausea are possible (this is not the rule, but in some patients, it is impossible to predict this before the operation). The moment the inner ear is accessed, a feeling of loss of balance is possible. You will be warned about this moment during the operation.
After the end of the operation, you will be transferred to the ward. In the ward, you will need to lie on your back, or the opposite side. It is necessary to lie down until the evening of the next day. It is strictly forbidden to get up or sit down. You need to go to the toilet on the ship. Take food while lying down. It is necessary to avoid any sudden movements of the head and any vibrations, including those caused by rough food (crackers, nuts, seeds, apples, carrots).
There are Merocel tampons in your ear canal, under which your eardrum is engrafted. Tampons will stay in the ear canal for 6-14 days until they are removed, drops must be instilled directly onto them. The tampons are then removed and a hearing test is performed.
Postoperative period at home
Most complications occur at home, so you need to be very careful. Sudden movements of the head and any vibrations should be avoided in the same way as after surgery. Avoid head bangs and loud noises. Ear drops must be instilled for another 2 weeks. A second hearing test is performed at the consultation after 3 months.
It is recommended:
- to take a slightly warm shower;
- to walk outside;
- to sneeze with an open nose and mouth;
- to keep your ear away from water until the next dose.
It is prohibited:
- to take a bath;
- to play sports for 2 months;
- to sneeze;
- to blow your nose;
- to eat crackers, nuts, seeds for 2 months;
- to use the metro, air transport for 1 month.